In Episode 616 of the NewChurches Q&A Podcast, Daniel and Todd continue their discussion on discerning character, chemistry, and competency when hiring staff and volunteer leaders.
In This Episode, You’ll Discover:
- How you discern for competency
- Ways to use the interview and reference process to discern competency
Shareable Quotes (#NewChurches):
- “You aren’t going to know what you expect from anybody in any role until you take a step back and ask what the competencies you are looking for in that position.” – @toddadkins
- “Having a clear understanding of the competencies, I am prepared to ask good questions that will reveal whether or not they are competent.” – @toddadkins
- “One of the things I love to do in discerning competence is creating scenarios and asking how they would lead in light of that.” – @danielsangi
- “Sometimes competency can be as difficult to discern as character.” – @toddadkins
- “Some people are better at interviewing than at executing.” – @toddadkins
- “The questions that you ask a reference are almost as important as the questions you ask a candidate.” – @toddadkins
- “An easy way to find out if they’ve done their homework is to ask them what is their favorite core value of the church.” – @toddadkins
Help us Multiply the Mission:
- Please subscribe
- Leave a rating and review on iTunes
- Ask a question by clicking Send Voicemail on the right hand side of NewChurches.com
- If you’re on a phone or a tablet, then go to www.speakpipe.com/newchurches to download the app and record your message
- When you’re recording, introduce yourself and your context in about 15 seconds and then record your question for 30 seconds
This Episode’s Sponsor:
Downline Ministries’ mission is to encourage a restoration of biblical discipleship in and through the local church by equipping men and women to know God’s Word and make disciples.
The primary way we partner with churches is through the Downline Institute, a 9 month biblical discipleship training program that walks students through the Bible (Genesis-Revelation), biblical manhood/womanhood, and key discipleship lessons. Listeners can receive $100 off tuition cost by using the code LIFEWAY when you apply at www.downlineministries.com.
Published August 2, 2021